In 2021, the LNLS Users Group (LNLSUG) will organize for the first time the LNLSUG PhD Thesis Award, to recognize outstanding research work using LNLS facilities.
To be eligible for the 2021 award, the PhD thesis and candidate must satisfy the following criteria:
1. The research performed by the candidate at LNLS facilities must be key for the main conclusions of the PhD thesis.
2. The thesis must have been successfully defended between January 1st 2019 and July 31st 2021.
3. All candidates agree to present a 10-min online talk on November 8-10th 2021 during the 31stRAU/LNLS, if requested.
4. The winner agrees to present a 40-min online talk at the LNLS Users group Seminar series (https://pages.cnpem.br/lnlsusersgroup/seminars/) about his/her thesis work on a date to be defined later.
5. The nomination documentation must be complete and submitted on time.
To participate, the candidate should send the following documents to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than August 31st 2021:
1. Signed cover letter, stating full name of the candidate, personal ID number, institution where the thesis was defended, name of the supervisor (and co-supervisor if applicable), and date of the thesis defense. A short description of the thesis topic and main results should be included, highlighting the importance of those obtained at LNLS to the main conclusions of the thesis.
2. Certificate of successful thesis defense.
3. Support letter from the supervisor(s) – OPTIONAL.
4. Copy of personal ID (RG, passport, etc).
5. Pdf copy of the thesis.
6. Pdf copy of all published, accepted, or submitted papers related to the PhD work.
7. Statement that the candidate agrees to present a 10-min online talk on November 8-10th 2021 during the 31st RAU/LNLS, if requested, and a 40-min online talk at the LNLS Users group Seminar series about his/her thesis work on a later date to be defined in case of winning the prize.
8. The candidate must be a member of the LNLS Users Group by the time of submission (how to become a member: https://pages.cnpem.br/lnlsusersgroup/membership/ )
In case the above documentation exceeds 10Mb in total, the candidate should provide a link for download.
The PhD Thesis will be evaluated by the LNLS Users Committee (https://pages.cnpem.br/lnlsusersgroup/users-committee/).
The evaluation guideline criteria are:
· The quality and impact of the PhD work within the context of the field.
· The importance of the results obtained at LNLS in supporting the main conclusions of the PhD work.
· The quality and capability of the candidate based on the thesis manuscript and associated published work.
· If pre-selected, the candidate will be requested to present a 10-min online talk on November 8-10th 2021 during the 31st RAU/LNLS. The quality of this presentation will be part of the candidacy evaluation. The list of pre-selected candidates for the talk will be available at the LNLSUG website (https://pages.cnpem.br/lnlsusersgroup/) by no later than October 20th 2021. All candidates will be also informed by email of the result of the pre-selection.
UPDATE: Pre-Selected Candidates
Josimar Henrique de Lima Lessa
Lucia Maria Toscani
Nancy Eugenia Nieva
Susilaine Maira Savassa
Tanna Elyn Rodrigues Fiuza
Decision and award
The decision will be announced during the closing session of the 31st RAU/LNLS, November 11th 2021, and published at the LNLSUG webpage.
The selected PhD graduate will be contacted for further arrangements for a 40-min online talk at the LNLS Users group Seminar series (https://pages.cnpem.br/lnlsusersgroup/seminars/) about his/her thesis work on a date to be defined later.
The award includes a R$ 3000,00 monetary prize (before taxes) and a certificate.
UPDATE: Winner of PhD thesis award 2021
Lucia Maria Toscani