To work at the Brazilian Nanotechnology National Laboratory (LNNano)
The Brazilian Nanotechnology National Laboratory (LNNano) at the Brazilian Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM) – a non-profit organization certified by the Brazilian Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communication (MCTIC) – offers a position as Research Scientist for highly-motivated candidates to lead cutting-edge experimental research on Low-Temperature Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (LT-STM) Applied to Materials for Quantum Technologies.
The LT-STM facility will be part of scientific equipment available for internal and external research at CNPEM and will potentially explore facilities already installed on campus as the In Situ Growth Laboratory (LCIS) and the SIRIUS synchrotron light source.
Candidates working in the field of Low-Temperature Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (LT-STM) imaging and spectroscopy, as well as related techniques such as atomically-resolved non-contact atomic force microscopy (NC-AFM) and other variations of scanning probe methods. Research experience on the study of materials for quantum technologies is required. Materials for quantum technologies includes materials for quantum computing, quantum sensing, quantum metrology and quantum communication, such as 2D materials, quantum materials, and semiconductor/superconductor materials for solid-state qubit realizations, among others.
The future Research Scientist on LT-STM is expected to:
- Coordinate the implementation of an open research facility on LT-STM, which includes the acquisition, commissioning, maintenance and operation of a LT-STM equipment available for external users, in-house research and collaborations with the private sector;
- Establish and coordinate a solid and internationally competitive in-house experimental research program on the applications of LT-STM and related techniques to materials for quantum technologies;
- Seek and promote technological innovation that could benefit the Brazilian society by establishing partnerships with entrepreneurial and industrial sectors;
- Seek research funding from international and national funding agencies, and/or the private sector;
- Mentor graduate students and interns, and supervise technical staff.
The applicant should hold a Ph.D. degree in Physics, Materials Sciences, or related fields. A minimum of 3 years of working experience after the Ph.D. on experimental research with a strong record of publications in the field of materials for quantum technologies is also required. Hands-on experience on LT-STM and related SPM is a must.
For Brazilian candidates holding a national PhD degree, both relevant international experience abroad and a well-established scientific network are essential for this position.
Previous working experience in leading positions, including experience on purchasing R&D equipment, managing service contracts, troubleshooting is a bonus.
Here at CNPEM we value diversity in all its forms and understand that people are a fundamental part of our success!
- Health Care – Unimed
- Dental Care– Uniodonto
- Life Insurance – Allianz;
- Private Pension Plan – BrasilPrev;
- Day care assistance;
- Restaurant at CNPEM;
- Meal Voucher – Sodexo (R$679,80/per month);
- Shuttle Bus – Free;
- Transport Voucher;
- On-site parking;
- Club – Free SESC membership;
- Agreements with companies that offer discounts.