The fourth Cateretê Workshop will be held at the brand new Sirius building of the Brazilian Synchrotron Light Laboratory (LNLS), located at the Brazilian Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM) in Campinas, state of São Paulo, in Brazil.
The Brazilian Synchrotron Light Laboratory (LNLS) operates the only synchrotron light source in Latin America, providing high brilliant light from infrared to X-rays for the analysis of organic and inorganic materials. Designed and built with Brazilian technology, LNLS was inaugurated in 1997 as an open facility to the scientific and industrial communities across the country and abroad.
LNLS is currently engaged in the conclusion of Sirius, the next Brazilian synchrotron light source. It is planned to be a state of the art fourth generation machine, designed to be one of the most advanced in the world. Its ultra-low emittance and thus high brightness will open up new perspectives for research in many fields such as material science, structural biology, nanoscience, physics, earth and environmental science, cultural heritage, among many others. The first stage of Sirius Project was delivered in November, 2018 and it is planned to be open to the scientific committee in 2020.
The Brazilian Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM) is a private nonprofit organization located in Campinas, Brazil, which is funded by the Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (MCTIC). It is dedicated to cutting-edge research in materials, nanosciences, life sciences, physics, and chemistry through four National Laboratories: Synchrotron (LNLS), Biosciences (LNBio), Biorenewables (LNBr) and Nanotechnology (LNNano). The four laboratories are open facilities for external users and companies, from Brazil and abroad. They also have teams of researchers to provide support for projects, as well as to conduct joint research programs in biomass, green chemistry, drugs and cosmetics development, characterization of advanced materials, catalysts, etc.
Getting to Campinas and CNPEM campus
- Guarulhos Airport (GRU, Governador André Franco Montoro Airport, also known as “Cumbica Airport”) is the airport through which most foreign participants will arrive. It is located in the city of Guarulhos, less than 60 minutes from downtown Sao Paulo, and around 1h30 min from Campinas either by bus or car;
How to get to Campinas from Guarulhos Airport: * Next to the main parking lot. Tickets to Campinas cost 33.50 BRL each. The bus timetable is available at the company website (select “Cumbica (Guarulhos)”).
- Viracopos International Airport is located near the city of Campinas. Some international flights are available to/from this airport, most of them with connections in Florida and Lisboa.
How to get to Campinas from Viracopos Airport:* A Lirabus company booth is located in front of the Domestic Arrivals. Tickets to Campinas cost 13.75 BRL each. The bus timetable is available at the company website (select “Viracopos”). The bus trip from Viracopos Airport to Campinas bus station takes around 40 minutes.
*Locations and costs are subject to change. The airport information desk will provide up-to-date directions.
- Ground Transportation
Busses from the Airports and from other cities wil arrive at the Campinas Bus Terminal (called “Terminal Multimodal Ramos de Azevedo”). Bus tickets can be reserved and purchased online for the major bus companies.
Instructions on how to get from the Bus Terminal to CNPEM using public transportation can be found here. The Local Committee can provide more information if needed.
Taxis and ride-booking apps are also available in the city.
If you prefer coming by car, taxi or public transportation, please check how to get to CNPEM campus
Other tips and aditional information
- Tipping: tipping is not as widespread or regulated in Brazil as it is in other parts of the world. Tipping is your prerogative, a reward for service. It is customary to tip hotel porters, and a gratuity of about 10% is usual in restaurants if good service is received.
- Disabled facilities:if you require disability specific facilities, please notify the secretariat.
- Household Voltage in Brazil You may need adapters to plug in your electric/electronic devices. The sockets in the hotel are mostly of the type shown in the picture which accepts both US flat plugs as well as thin European plugs. The voltage in the rooms is 220 Volts, but you may encounter some outlets at 110 Volts. Beware of this bi-voltage danger in all of Brazil!
Casa do Professor Visitante - CPV Unicamp special rates!
We have negotiated special rate at the Casa do Professor Visitante – CPV Unicamp for your convenience – please find the detailed scheduled below.
Access www.cpvunicamp.com.br and use the code ”cateretê” when booking your room.
- Single Standard (single) for R$ 198,00
- Twin Standard (duble/twin) for R$ 216,00
- Suíte – R$ 305,00 (single or twin) Triplo for R$ 287,90
- Single MASTER (single) for R$ 234,00
- Twin MASTER (double/twin) for R$ 256,50
- Flat – for R$ 314,91 (single or twin)
Note: Suíte seats up to 04 guests.
All options with breakfast, valet and internet included.
- Lunch: R$ 38,00 individual, from 12:00 to 14:30;
- Dinner: R$ 40,00 individual, from 18:00 to 21:00;
- Check-in from 14:00 and check-out until 12:00;
- Credit and debit card payment;
Av. Érico Veríssimo, 1251 – Cidade Universitária, Campinas – SP, 13083-851
Phone: (19) 3521-2809
Distance from the event’s venue: 5.7km
Other suggested accomodations in Barão Geraldo and Campinas:
- Matiz Barão Geraldo
Address: Av. Albino José Barbosa de Oliveira, 1700 – Barão Geraldo, Campinas | SP
Phone: + 55 (19) 3749-8500
Website: portuguese and english.
Distance from the event’s venue: 4.4 km.
- Vitoria Express D Pedro
Adress: Rua Heitor Ernesto Sartori, 555
Phone: +55 193708 9500
E-mail for booking: email@example.com
Distância do CNPEM: 16 KM
- Compacto Hotel
Adress: Rua Cumarú, 116 – Alphaville Industrial – Campinas | SP – CEP: 13098-324
Phone: (19) 3262-1525
Website and Reservations
Distance from the event’s venue: 5 km
- Comfort Suites Campinas
- Pousada Anjo Azul Flat & Pousada
Address: Rua Aristides Lobo, 934 – Cidade Universitária – Campinas/SP
Phone: (019) 3307- 6446
Distance from the event’s venue: 2.7km
- Pousada Universitária Barão Geraldo
Address: R. Antônio Galvão de O. Barros, 101 – Barão Geraldo – Campinas, SP CEP 13084-275
Phone: + 55 (19) 3308-6656.
Distance from the event’s venue: 6.1 km
- Pousada Barão
Distance from the event’s venue: 6.1 km
Visitors to Brazil must obtain a visa from a Brazilian Consulate (in some cases, Embassy) unless they come from a visa exempt countries.
Information on this topic may be found here: http://www.portalconsular.itamaraty.gov.br/vistos-para-viajar-ao-brasil. In case of questions, we strongly recommend you check with your local Brazilian diplomatic mission if you need to apply for a tourist visa beforehand.
Important: bear in mind that you must apply for a visa in advance, it might take some weeks for you to get it.
The Local Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) can provide a letter of invitation if you need to present it for visa or academic purposes. The Invitation Letter from the CNPEM may NOT be enough to obtain a Brazilian visa.
The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your planned date of departure from Brazil.
You may consider an insurance policy of your choice to protect your interests in relation to cancellations, medical expenses, loss or damage to personal property. The conference organizers cannot take any responsibility for participants failing to arrange their own insurance.
REAL (R$) is the currency used in Brazil. It is possible to find some options for exchanging Money at Guarulhos or Viracopos Airports. In Campinas you can also find exchange offices.