Speaker: Ralph Steinhagen
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
This tutorial session will focus on fundamental aspects of feedback control systems in the particle accelerators field. It is not intended to be a general overview of the feedback control theory nor a collection of advanced topics on that matter, but rather a discussion about fundamental limiting factors on the tuning and implementation of feedback control loops.
Some topics to be explored are listed below:
- Conflicting figures of merit (disturbance rejection vs. reference tracking vs. noise attenuation)
- MIMO characteristics (static coupling, dynamics coupling)
- Closed-loop performance limitation due to process/controller time delay and actuators saturation/limited slew rate
- Reliability issues: dealing with exceptions, failing sensors and actuators, operational non-conformities
- Model uncertainties and the robust control theory
- Optimization-based control synthesis techniques beyond the traditional LQG approach
The session will be composed of lectures and a round table where a structured review of common design procedures and best practices will be developed in conjonction with the participants.